Your views needed!
Once again ELV is organising a Summer Series at Hog Hill for 2014. This year we are intending to change the format of racing to provide a 4th category only race and a 2/3 category race, whereas by tradition we have run 3/4 and E12 races. Therefore in 2014 the proposal is not to provide racing for E1 category riders. ELV took this decision with the aim of boosting overall levels of participation in cycle sport.
We have subsequently received some feedback on the proposed format, some supportive of our view and some not. As the promoting club it is up to us to decide what races we choose to promote. However, recognising we are proposing something different this year (and in particular that E1 riders will be excluded) we would like to better understand the balance of feeling amongst the racing community. Are you:
- An Eastern Region rider and current licence holder who has participated in the Summer Series races during either the 2012 or 2013 seasons, or
- An Eastern Region 4th category rider and current licence holder who intends to compete in this years Summer Series for the first time
If so then we would like you to tell us about yourself and your race preferences at the 2014 Summer Series via this link.
It will take a couple of minutes and all the details we need are:
- Your Name
- Current Club
- Current Licence Category
- Whether you competed in the 2012 or 2013 Summer Series or the 2014 Winter Series
- Whether you agree or disagree with the proposed race format of 4th category and 2/3 category races only for 2014
We recognise that there are a number of formats other than 3/4 and E12 that could allow E1 riders to participate e.g. E123 and 4 or potentially some form of handicap racing. We are not looking for detailed feedback on these options or on the pros and cons. We just want to gauge opinion from those who matter most (the riders who support or intend to support the Summer Series) on whether or not the proposed format of 4th category and 2/3 category racing is supported.
To get you thinking….
Arguments for the proposed format include:
- ELV ran races on a 4th and 2/3 cat format for the Winter Series and we saw overall participation levels increase very significantly, including a higher proportion of younger riders
- Opportunities are scarce for 4th cat and 2/3 cat riders to race on circuits within their ability groups and to genuinely ‘compete’ rather than just be ‘hanging on’
- There are a number of alternatives for midweek E1 racing in the London area
- It is right that race formats should correspond with demand, E1 participation in the Summer Series has been very low historically (typically 5 or 6 riders per night)
Arguments against the proposed format include:
- 4th and 2nd cat riders would miss the opportunity to challenge themselves against higher cat riders
- Mixing 4th and 3rd cat riders helps ensure 4th cat riders reach a higher standard before securing a licence upgrade
- There are a number of local E1 riders who have supported the Summer Series in the past and it is unfair to deny them (and potential successors) the opportunity to race
- Demand for 4th cat racing may decline as the season progresses and therefore participation levels may not mirror the Winter Series